Are you heading to the slopes this winter? If you’re planning an active winter holiday, then you might already be thinking about travel insurance with winter sports cover.
But what should your policy cover, and how do you know which is the best winter sports insurance cover for you?
We’re going to take a look at these questions and more in our guide to winter sports insurance.
What does winter sports insurance cover?
The first thing to think about is which activities you’re going to be enjoying and whether they’re covered under winter sports insurance.
Most policies cover sports such as:
- Skeleton bobsleigh
- Ice climbing
- Ice fishing
- Ice hockey
- Riding snowmobiles
- Glacier skiing
To make sure you’re protected, always check the terms and conditions of your cover before taking it out.
For some policies, you’ll also need to stick to certain conditions, such as height for ice climbing. It’s important to understand any or all restrictions before you take part in a sport, to make sure you’re covered if you need to make a claim.
Why do I need winter sports insurance cover?
Winter sports aren’t covered under standard policies. You’ll need specific winter sports cover to make sure you’re protected if something goes wrong.
Most winter sports are considered high risk, meaning you're more likely to get an injury and claim on your insurance. Plus, you’ll need cover for other eventualities that you won’t experience on a summer holiday, such as avalanches.
So what should I be looking for in my policy?
Your winter sports insurance policy will firstly cover you in the same way a standard travel insurance policy would. So you can expect cover for:
- Emergency medical care
- Delays to your travel plans
- Lost, stolen or damaged belongings
Depending on its exact terms and conditions, it can also cover you for:
- Replacing specialist equipment such as skis, snowboards or helmets if they get lost, stolen or damaged
- Lost ski pass
- Hiring other equipment if yours isn’t suitable for any reason
- Piste closures
- Off-piste activities, though this may come with conditions such as using a qualified instructor
- Medical care for injuries you’ve got as a result of your winter sports
- Cancelled activities and related costs such as hiring equipment that couldn’t be used
- Delay of your winter activities because of an avalanche or landslide
- Personal liability so you can claim legal costs if you’re responsible for someone else’s injuries
What doesn’t travel insurance for winter sports cover?
Any travel insurance policy will have limitations. The details will depend on the type of policy and insurer you go for. As a general rule, your winter sports insurance won’t cover:
- Failing to use the right equipment. If you’re not wearing the right protective gear and get an injury, your policy won’t pay up
- Leaving belongings unattended
- Use of alcohol or drugs. You won’t be covered if you injure yourself or someone else if you’re under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Extreme winter sports. A regular winter sports insurance policy won’t necessarily cover you for activities like competitive winter sports or something more unusual like the skeleton. You’ll need to search for a specialist insurance policy for these
- Private medical treatment, unless this has been authorised by the emergency assistance team
What affects the cost of winter sports travel insurance?
The cost of travel cover depends on you and your trip type. A lot of factors are considered to make you sure you have the right type of cover for your needs. Find out more about the cost of travel insurance in our blog.
When should I take out my winter sports insurance policy?
As soon as you’ve booked your holiday, there’s no better time to take out winter sports cover. It means that if you have to cancel before you go away, you can make a claim and not have to worry about being out of pocket.
Most winter sports travel insurance policies will cover early cancellation because of injury, illness, bereavement or redundancy, so you’ll get extra peace of mind from booking early.
Make your winter sports trip a holiday to remember…now!
So why not start searching for the best winter sports insurance policy for you right now? Being organised and staying one step ahead will mean that you can focus on looking forward to that adrenaline-fuelled trip in the heart of winter.
Make it super easy by using our online comparison tool to find the right policy for you and your trip. Click on the Winter sports cover option and enter some details about yourself and your holiday, and you’ll get a choice of insurance policies to consider that fit what you’re looking for.
Or if you’d like to talk your plans through with a travel insurance consultant, give us a call. One of our friendly experts will help guide you to a winter sports policy that will protect you while you live the high life – literally – on the slopes.